Hey there, foodies!
Does your Google search history look something like this recently?
‘Best Bakeries in California?’, ‘Best French bakery in Los Angeles’, ‘Famous bakery in California’, ‘ Best cakes in California, ‘Where to find best pastries in LA?’, ‘Bakery in California’, ‘ Best place for mousse in California’
Well, if that’s the case, you’ve found what you are looking for. Whether you’re planning a trip to California, recently moved there (and in a quest to find the best bakeries in California), or are just an avid foodie exploring the world of dessert through the internet, reading this article will help you find just the right baked goods and desserts for your taste buds.
We live on a planet brimming with diversity. But we all seem to share one thing, though – the love for desserts. For this very reason, bakeries in California offer a wide range of delicious baked goods. Adding cherry on the cake, some pastry chefs have even created breathtaking settings and interiors for dessert lovers to sit and enjoy the delicious treats.
Los Angeles is known for its numerous five-star restaurants, cosy coffeehouses, and buzzing rooftop bars. It should come as no surprise that it also houses a staggering number of world-class bakeries.
Cake Shops, dessert spots, and bakeries abound throughout Los Angeles, many of them incorporating styles and flavors from around the globe. The best attribute of LA’s baking style is that it is not limited to any particular style, for example, classic European, French, etc. Instead, find a wonderful amalgam of flavors.
Bakeries in California offer desserts from around the globe, from Asian pastries to Mexican panaderias. However, some bakery shops in Los Angeles favor classic preparations or add their own twist to classics, as well. Be prepared to experience heaven in every bite, whether it is a chocolate chip cookie, donut, cheese croissant. To ensure you don’t miss out, get there early since bakeries do sell out quickly.
Keep aside the calorie counter and pick up your fork as we explore these famous bakeries in California. So, let’s start this scrumptious journey as we tour the state, and scope out some of California’s best bakeries.
List Of Best Bakeries In California
#1. B. Patisserie –
If you leave LA without going to B. Patisserie, you failed the purpose of visiting California. Known for its buttery dough that tastes like a caramelized croissant, this popular French bakery makes the best-baked items and desserts in the city. They are in high demand, much like all their chocolate caramel mousse bomb and some amazing financiers.
The Crispy flaky Kouign-Amann from B. Patisserie is a must-try item.
No matter what you order, from the tarts to the tartines, to the cakes and cookies, everything is excellent. So, you can be confident in selecting whatever grabs your attention from behind the glass case. Leaving this place out might turn out to be a huge regret.
- Address: 2821 California St, San Francisco, CA 94115, United States
- Contact: +1 415-440-1700
- Website: https://bpatisserie.com/
#2. Tartine Bakery –
The hype surrounding Tartine Bakery is well-deserved. The breadth of selections here is overwhelmingly good. The bakery is filled with mouth-watering pastries, flavored croissants, and a variety of items. Each item is tasty, fresh, and worth the calories.
You need to plan ahead because, by the time you finally get to order, you won’t be able to think clearly due to the adrenaline rush (and the long queue behind you).
- Address: 600 Guerrero St, San Francisco, CA 94110, United States
- Contact: +1 415-487-2600
- Website: https://tartinebakery.com/
#3. Donut Bar –
There is no place like Donut Bar when it comes to doughnuts. When you take a bite, you will instantly become a BIG FAN and you will keep coming back for more. The donuts are HUGE, and one will fill you up more than enough.
The Donut Bar offers dozens of types of doughnuts that will appeal to every type of palate. If chocolate is your thing, there are several doughnuts inspired by Nutella. The standard Nutella glazed doughnut and matcha tea donut is highly recommended.
- Address: 631B St (at downtown), San Diego, California, USA, 92101
- Contact: +1 619-255-6360
- Website: https://donutbarsd.com/
#4. Proof Bakery –
At Proof Bakery, french pastry lovers can have almost anything their heart desires — croissants, brioche, quiche, éclairs, tartelettes, tarte citron meringuée, etc. This top-notch bakery is most likely to appeal to you. You should consider their birthday cakes if you are planning on throwing someone a birthday party.
This bakery is one of a kind!
- Address: 3156 Glendale Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90039, United States
- Contact: +1 323-664-8633
- Website: https://www.proofbakery.com/
#5. La Brea Bakery –
In the last 33 years, this modest storefront bakery has influenced how Americans eat. In 1989, Nancy Silverton opened La Brea, a bakery known for its artisanal bread. At first, her baguettes became a staple of Southern California, then spread to other parts of the country.
Though La Brea dough is now sold in supermarkets, visiting the original location is the best way to experience the delicious focaccia.
Visiting a bakery with a great history and food is a must.
- Address: 468S La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036, United States
- Contact: +1 323-939-6813
- Website: https://www.labreabakery.com/cafes
#6. Zanze’s Cheesecake –
The cheesecakes contain no flour, butter, or graham crackers. Upon emerging from the ovens, they look beautiful, frothy, and delicately sweet. Just one bite and you’re taken into another world, especially with that fresh lemon aftertaste and graham cracker crumbs.
Each cake is hand-boxed and tied, with a little fishing line taped to the top for slicing, then displayed in a small glass case in the front of the shop.
Zanze bakes 50 cheesecakes daily, four days a week. They sell out real quick.
- Address: 2405 Ocean Ave, San Francisco, CA 94127, United States
- Contact: Not Available
- Website: Not Available
#7. Mazetti’s Bakery –
It is impossible to resist the delicious baked goods at Mazzetti’s Bakery. This bakery consistently receives high rankings. The only place to find better prices in town is Mazzetti’s Bakery, so grab all the treats you can carry. They have one of the best sourdough bread on the coast side.
You can always find an excuse to take Mazzetti’s Bakery for a treat.
- Address: 101 Manor Dr, Pacifica, CA 94044, United States
- Contact: +1 650-355-1007
- Website: https://www.mazzettisbakery.com/
#8. Della Fattoria –
Upon entering, you’re transported to a happy place. There can be found award-winning breads, pastries of every kind, and delicious desserts. The ingredients they use in all of their food are top-notch and everything they serve is delicious.
The fragrance of the bread is irresistible. The place has an old-fashioned feel, you’ll love it.
- Address: 143 Petaluma Blvd N, Petaluma, CA 94952, United States
- Contact: +1 707-763-0161
- Website: http://www.dellafattoria.com/
#9. Fonuts –
Are you looking for gluten-free desserts in California? Fonuts is the same. Besides conventional and non-vegan varieties of donuts, this gourmet shop also offers wheat-free, gluten-free, and vegan options. There’s no way you could miss the regular donuts at all!
It is difficult to choose just one option from the Fonuts variety, but they are all amazing.
- Address: 8104W 3rd St (at Crescent Height), Los Angeles, California, USA, 90048
- Contact: +1 323-592-3075
- Website: http://fonuts.com/
#10. Porto’s –
Famous for its award-winning pastries and custom cakes, this Cuban bakeshop offers a variety of tasty treats. Everything at Porto’s is so well prepared, especially when it comes to flavor, sweetness, and texture.
The prices are affordable here, and the quality of the pastries is good enough to satisfy groups with varying tastes.
- Address: 3614 W. Magnolia Blvd, Burbank, CA 91505
- Contact: +1 818-846-9100
- Website: http://www.portosbakery.com/
#11. Arizmendi: Mission –
This worker-owned cooperative specializes in artisan breads, morning pastries, and gourmet pizzas. Here, you choose from endless bread options instead of selecting from a bunch of candy like you would in a grocery store pick-n-mix station.
If you’re too tired for coffee and a pastry and want pizza instead, they’ve got an assortment that changes every few months.
- Address: 1272 Valencia St, San Francisco, CA 94110, United States
- Contact: +1 415-826-9218
- Website: http://valencia.arizmendi.coop/
#12. Martabak Cafe –
If you’re Indonesian craving food from back home or someone who loves Indonesian flavors in general, it is not too difficult to enjoy it in LA. The treats here are super delicious! There is something so spongy and airy about the pancake itself, and the filling is so delicious with it.
Although it’s quite rich in flavor, the desserts are very light. The entire box could easily be consumed.
- Address: west 91792, 3666 Nogales St, West Covina, CA 91792, United States
- Contact: +1 626-810-2606
- Website: Not Available
#13. Benkyodo Co –
Want to experience Japanese flavors and desserts? Benkyodo Co is the pay. We’ll not say much, we’ll let the food do the talking.
- Address: 1747 Buchanan St, San Francisco, CA 94115, United States
- Contact: +1 415-922-1244
- Website: http://www.benkyodocompany.com/
#14. Fantastic Donuts –
Fantastic Donuts offers many mouth-watering treats. You cannot go wrong with their donuts. Skizzle is a must try. Grab one while it’s hot and fresh. They make donuts fresh constantly, so, be assured.
They are famous for their cinnamon donuts with coffee.
- Address: 1101 S Vermont Ave UNIT 113, Los Angeles, CA 90006, United States
- Contact: +1 213-252-5237
- Website: https://instagram.com/fantasticdonuts/
#15. Honey & Butter Macarons –
You’re not going to find better macarons in town. The flavors include nutella, hazelnut, dark chocolate, dark chocolate coconut, and pistachio. The earlier you get there, the better your chances of grabbing one of these macarons.
They are open from noon until 7 pm on weekdays, but often close even earlier because they sell out so quickly.
- Address: 633 Spectrum Center Dr Suite 633, Irvine, CA 92618, United States
- Contact: 949-267-6700(Text-Line Only)
- Website: http://www.honeynbutter.com/
#16. Craftsman and Wolves –
If there is any, Craftsman and Wolves would be the perfect museum for pastries. The pastries they make are remarkable. Their baked goods have excellent flavors, textures, and presentations.
- Address: 746 Valencia St. San Francisco, CA 94110
- Contact: +1 415-913-7713
- Website: http://www.craftsman-wolves.com/
#17. Golden Gate Bakery –
Egg tarts from Golden Gate Bakery are very popular. Their popularity is certainly deserved. People love them because the egg custard is fluffy and sweet, and the pastry is crispy. The egg tarts are hot and fresh, with just the right amount of sweetness and crunch.
There is always a queue of people. Even with all the hassle, you’ll be back for more mooncakes and egg tarts.
- Address: 1029 Grant Ave, San Francisco, CA 94133, United States
- Contact: +1 415-781-2627
- Website: Not available
#18. Bottega Louie –
As soon as you enter Bottega Louie, you will be captivated. An elegant display of French Macaron cookies fills the display case of a bakery. As you continue to walk, you’ll find more delectable desserts.
Don’t forget to try out the chocolate Souffle and the Butterscotch Budino.
- Address: 700 S Grand Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90017, United States
- Contact: +1 213-802-1470
- Website: http://www.bottegalouie.com/
#19. Cafe 86 –
Cafe 86 has the freshest and best-tasting ube pastries and desserts. You have to try this place if you’re a fan of Ube. This place has all the Ube goodies you could ever desire. Upon entering, you’ll be greeted by a glass case of mouth-watering assorted baked goods. From Ube Flan Cupcakes and Milo Cupcakes to Ube Truffles, everything is delicious.
This place never disappoints. Just forget your diet and enjoy.
- Address: 4110 Edison Ave # 109, Chino, CA 91710, United States
- Contact: +1 909-590-2886
- Website: http://www.cafe-86.com/
Read Next: Homemade Ube Macarons Must Try Recipe
#20. Olsen’s Danish –
Olsen’s Danish Bakery offers a large range of delicious pastries, pieces of bread, cookies, and cakes. They have won the blue ribbon for best bread and have been praised by Sunset magazine as one of the best bakeries on the West Coast as one can get a huge collection of pastries.
Definitely, a must-try place!
- Address: 1529 Mission Dr, Solvang, CA 93463, United States
- Contact: +1 805-688-6314
- Website: http://olsensdanishvillagebakery.com/
#21. Liguria Bakery –
The focaccia at Liguria Bakery is the best. The baked goods there taste fresh and delicious. This bakery is family-owned, and they have never changed their recipe. It tastes the same every time. Other bakeries in California bake focaccia, but no one comes close to them.
The bakery closes when the focaccia is sold out for the day. So, go early!
- Address: 1700 Stockton St, San Francisco, CA 94133, United States
- Contact: +1 415-421-3786
- Website: Not Available
#22. Huckleberry Cafe –
When you enter, the aroma of freshly baked pastries and bread will put a smile on your face.
You can choose from a wide selection of pastries and breakfast items. There’s something for everyone.
They have one of the best croissants in LA.
- Address: 1014 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90401, United States
- Contact: +1 310-451-2311
- Website: http://www.huckleberrycafe.com/
#23. Claudine Artisan Kitchen & Bakeshop–
It is a pleasure to visit this place. There are lots of pastries and an interesting menu. All of the food is prepared beautifully. Every dish was prepared using only the freshest, most nutritious ingredients. Their baked goods are just the best. One can’t go wrong eating at Claudine’s.
You are sure to come out happy and satisfied.
- Address: 16350 Ventura Blvd Suite F, Los Angeles, CA 91436-5300
- Contact: +1 818-616-3838
- Website: http://www.claudinela.com/
Read Next: Delicious Homemade Mango Crepe Cake Recipe
#24. Julian Pie Company –
Julian Pie Company is one of the largest and most popular sellers of apple and other pies. Their apple pie is not to be missed. Delicious filling, nice-sized slices, and flaky crust. Their pie is all you need.
They have a well-earned and well-deserved reputation.
- Address: 2225 Main St, Julian, CA 92036, United States
- Contact: +1 760-765-2449
- Website: http://www.julianpie.com/
#25. Extraordinary Desserts –
It is extremely difficult to choose which dessert to get in this place because there are so many unusual and attractive desserts to choose from. Desserts here are a work of art. Some of these cakes could be displayed in a museum.
The prices are reasonable too!
- Address: 1430 Union St, San Diego, CA 92101, USA
- Contact: +1 619-294-7001
- Website: http://www.extraordinarydesserts.com/
#26. Mr. Holmes Bakehouse –
Mr. Holmes Bakehouse specializes in both classic and creative baked goods. Try anything. Your taste buds are sure to be entertained. Cruffins are their speciality, but they also have other scrumptious pastries.
Don’t miss this place at any cost.
- Address: 1042 Larkin St, San Francisco, CA 94109, United States
- Contact: Not Available
- Website: https://www.mrholmesbakehouse.com/
Apart from these Milo & Olive, Pie Hole, Lady M Cake Boutique, Cream Pan, Nomad Donuts, The Cravory, B Sweet Dessert Bar, California Donuts, DK’s Donuts & Bakery, Thorough Bread and Pastry, Good Mong Kok Bakery, Farmshop and Rose Cafe-Restaurant are some great option too.
The Address and contact details are provided below:
#27. Milo & Olive –
- Address: 2723 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90403, United States
- Contact: Not Available
- Website: http://www.miloandolive.com/
#28. The Pie Hole –
- Address: 6314 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028, United States
- Contact: Not Available
- Website: https://www.thepieholela.com/
#29. Lady M Cake Boutique –
- Address: 8718 W 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90048, United States
- Contact: Not Available
- Website: http://www.ladym.com/
#30. Cream Pan –
- Address: 602 El Camino Real, Tustin, CA 92780, United States
- Contact: +1 714-665-8239
- Website: http://www.creampanbakery.com/
#31. The Cravory –
- Address: 3960 W Point Loma Blvd Unit M, San Diego, CA 92110, United States
- Contact: +1 619-431-5000
- Website: http://thecravory.com/
#32. B Sweet Dessert Bar –
- Address: 2005 Sawtelle Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90025, United States
- Contact: +1 310-963-9769
- Website: http://www.mybsweet.com/
#33. California Donuts –
- Address: 3540 W 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90020, United States
- Contact: +1 213-385-3318
- Website: https://cadonuts.com/
#34. DK’s Donuts & Bakery –
- Address: 1614 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90404, United States
- Contact: +1 310-829-2512
- Website: http://www.dksdonuts.com/
#35. Thorough Bread and Pastry –
- Address: 248 Church St, San Francisco, CA 94114, United States
- Contact: +1 415-558-0690
- Website: https://www.thoroughbreadandpastry.com/
#36. Good Mong Kok Bakery –
- Address: 1039 Stockton St, San Francisco, CA 94108, United States
- Contact: +1 415-397-2688
- Website: https://www.goodmongkok.com/
#37. Farmshop –
- Address: 225 26th St #25, Santa Monica, CA 90402, United States
- Contact: +1 310-566-2400
- Website: https://farmshopca.com/santa-monica/
#38. Primo’s Donuts Westwood Village –
- Address: 2918 Sawtelle Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90064, United States
- Contact: +1 310-478-6930
- Website: http://www.primosdonuts.com/
#39. Rose Cafe-Restaurant –
- Address: 424 E Haley St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101, United States
- Contact: +1 805-966-3773
- Website: http://www.rosecafesb.com/
#40. Pitchoun! –
- Address: 545 S Olive St, Los Angeles, CA 90013, United States
- Contact: Not Available
- Website: http://www.pitchounbakery.com/
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the best cupcakes in San Francisco?
SusieCakes, Sift Dessert Bar, Miette Patisserie, Cups and Cakes are some of the best places to enjoy cupcakes. All the sweets here are so intricate and beautiful. Everything they make is beautiful, rich, and delicious.
2. Where can I find a good wedding cake in San Francisco?
Butter&, Jasmine Rae Cakes, Pretty Please Bakeshop, Cake Coquette, Grace & Gusto Cakes are some of the best options.
3. To open a bakery, does one need bakery licenses and permits in California?
Yes, licenses and permits are a MUST.
California is full of mouth-watering baked goods. Top-notch bakeries can be found in nearly every neighborhood in Los Angeles. There’s more to LA than its image as the ultimate fitness and healthy living destination.
Desserts are a passion here, and people will go to great lengths to find and enjoy them. If you anticipate visiting California anytime soon, do not miss out on the golden chance to try these bakeries in California. YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THEM.